How to apply for financial aid:
1. Apply for a FSA (Federal Student Aid) ID which includes a username and password. The FSA ID has replaced the PIN Number identification that has been in use for several years. A parent must apply for a FSA ID as well, if the student is dependent. Your FSA ID confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. Go to www.fafsa.gov
to begin this process.
2. After you and one parent, if dependent, have received a username and password, begin completing the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This application covers the Pell Grant Program, the Federal Supplemental Grant Program, the Federal College Work-Study Program, and the Federal Direct Student Loan Program.
3. If you are a Mississippi resident, apply for State Financial Aid at www.riseupms.com
. Complete the online application and apply for the Mississippi Resident Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG), Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG) and other state funds such as Critical Needs and Help Scholarships. Take time to review the entire site for information about all programs funded by the State of Mississippi. Also, you can monitor the status of your application at this site.
5. If you are interested in Federal Direct Student Loans, additional forms may be required.
First-time Direct Loan Borrowers:
Returning Direct Loan Borrowers:
When completing the FAFSA, indicate interest in student loans
6. Recommended deadlines for having the Financial Aid application submitted and completed are:
- Fall Term: July 31
- Spring Term: January 3
- Summer Term: May 15
7. Applications submitted or incomplete after these dates may result in students being unable to purchase textbooks and supplies.