How to apply for financial aid:
1. Apply for a personal identification number, or PIN number, at www.pin.ed.gov
. The PIN number is used when signing the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid.” Please note that a parent must make application for a PIN number as well, if the student is dependent.
2. After receiving a PIN number, go to www.fafsa.gov
and complete the “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” or FAFSA. The FAFSA is the application which covers federal grants (Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant), Federal College Work-Study and Federal Direct Loans.
3. If you are a Mississippi resident, apply for State Financial Aid at www.riseupms.com
. Complete the online application and apply for the Mississippi Resident Tuition Assistance Grant (MTAG), Mississippi Eminent Scholars Grant (MESG) and other state funds such as Critical Needs and Help Scholarships. Take time to review the entire site for information about all programs funded by the State of Mississippi. Also, you can monitor the status of your application at this site.
5. If you are interested in Federal Direct Student Loans, additional forms may be required.
First-time Direct Loan Borrowers:
Returning Direct Loan Borrowers:
When completing the FAFSA, indicate interest in student loans
6. Recommended deadlines for having the Financial Aid application submitted and completed are:
- Fall Term: July 31
- Spring Term: January 3
- Summer Term: May 15
7. Applications submitted or incomplete after these dates may result in students being unable to purchase textbooks and supplies.