Naval Air Station Meridian extension
255 Rosenbaum Avenue
Naval Air Station Meridian
Meridian, Miss. 39309
- Accessibility: EMCC’s Naval Air Station Meridian extension offers classes year-round. Students come from both the base and the surrounding area. About 40 percent of the students are active duty military; the rest are military dependants and civilian members of the community. The director of the NAS Meridian extension is Jeff Jowers.
- Accreditation: EMCC is fully accredited by the Southern Association of College and Schools. This means your academic classes will transfer to any senior college of your choice with whom EMCC maintains an articulation agreement. EMCC is articulated with all senior colleges in the state of Mississippi.
- Continuity: Through the Servicemembers Opportunity College Degree Network System, academic credits earned by military students are transferred to other colleges, and they are able to pick up where they left off at their next duty station. The SOC Degree Network Program is made up of colleges and universities selected by the military to deliver associate’s and bachelor’s degree classes to military students and their families. Schools taking part agree to special conditions that make it possible for military students to complete degrees without losing academic credits when they change duty stations.
- Workforce: The college’s Workforce Services Division, headquartered at the Golden Triangle campus, has been branching out and expanding programming at EMCC’s Scooba and NAS Meridian locations. The Workforce team has offered classes in pharmacy technology and computers at NAS Meridian, and is investigating other needs at the base.
- Autonomy: The NAS Meridian extension offers many of the same administrative services as EMCC’s Scooba and Golden Triangle campuses. Registration, for instance, can be accomplished on base.
- Outreach: EMCC wants NAS Meridian personnel to feel welcome in Lion Country. All active-duty military may attend sporting events at the Scooba campus free of charge, simply by presenting a valid military ID at the gate.
- Goals: The EMCC staff at the NAS Meridian extension lists among its goals: recruitment and retention of more students, involving military students in campus-wide activities and offering a wide variety of classes to help them meet their educational and professional goals.