Columbus Air Force Base extension
81 Ward Street Click link for more info:
Columbus Air Force Base CAFB Extension brochure
Columbus, Miss. 39710
- Accessibility: East Mississippi Community College opened an extension campus at Columbus Air Force Base in 1972, just four years after we cut the ribbon at the Golden Triangle campus in Mayhew. EMCC offers daytime, evening and online classes. The director of the CAFB extension is Jackie Newton.
- Accreditation: EMCC is fully accredited by the Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges. This means your academic classes will transfer to any senior college of your choice with whom EMCC maintains an articulation agreement. EMCC is articulated with all senior colleges in the state of Mississippi. In 2008, the CAFB extension also entered into an articulation agreement with Saint Leo University.
- Continuity: Military students can complete their associate’s degrees with EMCC, or transfer credits to the Community College of the Air Force and pick up where they left off at their next duty station.
- Enrollment: Generally, about a third of our students are active-duty military or military dependants. The other two-thirds are civilians from the Lowndes County area. CAFB’s highest enrollment period is the summer, as students who recently graduated from high school get a head start on their college education.
- Autonomy: The CAFB extension is a one-stop shop for its students, offering all the same administrative services as EMCC’s Golden Triangle and Scooba campuses – admissions, registration, business office, bookstore. The bookstore also stocks items such as pens, binders, pencils and notebooks emblazoned with the EMCC logo.
- Outreach: EMCC wants CAFB personnel to feel welcome in Lion Country. All active-duty military may attend sporting events at the Scooba campus free of charge, simply by presenting a valid military ID at the gate.